Skip to content

Another blazing win for Hexagon Telford Tigers 2!

The second leg of the Telford Coventry Challenge games took place at Telford Rink on Sunday evening. The first period was evenly matched, both sides had an even number of chances, but it was The Hexagon Telford Tigers that turned the goal lights red 6 minutes and 54 seconds into the game with a goal from Captain Karol Jets, assisted by Player Coach Callum Bowley and Defenceman Liam Preece.

A Coventry tripping penalty by Dan Mulcahy 8 minutes into the game lead to a strong Tigers Power Play, resulting in a good PP goal by new signing #89 Lubomir Plandor at 9:55, this was assisted by #53 Jordan Jolly.

#40 Ben Washburn, found himself in the bin at 13:33, falling foul to the new late hit penalty.

Some good saves by both goalies saw the period end, with the Tigers 2 – 0 up.

The second period started with #66 Matt Price, sitting in the penalty box after a hooking call, the Tigers continued to show strength in the penalty kill, by not allowing Coventry to score.

23:36 saw Coventry forward Kyle Nash sitting for 2 minutes after a tripping penalty. The Tigers continued to pressure Coventry Goalie Josh Crane, resulting in a few scuffles in front of the net.  No penalties were given, end to end hockey continued until Connor Gordon was called at 28:13 for interference and at 38:16 for tripping.

The start of period 3 saw Zac Brown take a well-earned break, while Ollie Johnson took his place between the pipes. The Tigers started in Penalty Kill as Gordon sat 17 seconds left on his Penalty.

A delay of game Penalty for Coventry’s Niall Simpson resulted in the 3rdand final goal of the game, the second of the game for Lubomir Plandor, with assists for Anderton and Bowley.

A challenging third period saw Gordon sit a hooking penalty at 49:13. The Tigers managed to keep the Blaze in their own half in the second half of period 3, even with a tripping penalty at 56:18 from Plandor.

After an issue with Josh Cranes pads, play resumed. Coventry called a time out at 57:45 after scuffles between Haywood and Gordon in front of the Coventry goal.

A tardy return to play after a Coventry time out saw Kyle Nash serve Coventry’s delay of game penalty at 57:45.

The last minute of the game saw punches thrown in front of the Coventry net resulting in Telford’s Griffin and Preece and Coventry’s Luke Curtis all serving 2 minutes for roughing and the Coventry bench being given 2 minutes for throwing the stick.

Ben Washburn’s late hit penalty at 59:34 was the end of the excitement as the clock ran down and Telford won a second challenge game with Coventry.

Man of the Match awards were given to Marian Kristof for Coventry and Lubomir Plandor for Telford

Be sure to join us as The Hexagon Telford Tigers 2 start their league campaign against Deeside at home 7pm on Saturday 22ndSeptember.