#TidywithTigers. Like many parks, beaches and nature reserves across the country, litter is becoming an increasing problem. Litter is dangerous to wildlife and children, looks unsightly and has a negative impact on the surrounding environment. There are around 2,500 litter bins in Telford and Wrekin, carefully sited to encourage people to use them but unfortunately that isn’t always the case.
In the latest #TidywithTigers campaign we see the Club working in conjunction with Principle Sponsors Hexagon working towards our mission of contributing to creating a cleaner, greener borough.
We’re asking for fans and community volunteers to give the Telford Tigers players, coaches, match night volunteers and staff a helping hand by taking part the Club’s Community litter picking event around Telford Ice Rink and Telford Town Park on Wednesday 22nd February between 10am and 12pm.
- The meeting point to start the event will be at Telford Ice Rink, 9:30am.
- All children under 16 must be supervised by an adult aged 18 or over.
- Don’t forget to wear your Tigers shirts!
- Equipment and bags will be provided
Tom Watkins, the Hexagon Telford Tigers General Manager encourages volunteers of all ages to come along to event commenting:
“I think this is a fantastic initiative for the Tigers and of course ran jointly with our friends from Hexagon. Being able to get outside and enjoy your local area has never been more important. We live in a beautiful county in Shropshire and the Tigers home at Telford Ice Rink is set on the edge of the Telford Town Park. The Town Park is a fantastic space for all to enjoy, with plenty of play areas, green space, pools, nature and miles upon miles of designated cycle & footpaths cutting through several areas of Telford. We are all very fortunate to have such a wonderful area on our doorstep and we all feel it’s important to do our bit to help protect it.”
We want to see our fans from far and wide taking part in our #TidywithTigers campaign. If you can’t make our litter picking event on 22nd February , there is nothing stopping you getting involved! Organise your own litter picking event in your local area with your friends and family and send us your photos – and don’t forget to use our hashtag #TidywithTigers!
Telford Tigers Top tips for picking litter:
- Be prepared! Come well equipped with gloves (thick gardening gloves are the best) – they’ll protect your hands from anything mucky or sharp and if you’re feeling fancy, you could even bring a litter picker! We would also recommend that volunteers come dressed weather appropriate and wear sturdy waterproof shoes or boots.
- Stay safe! Be aware and take extra care when picking up anything sharp. Stay away from objects which my cause physical harm such as needles, nappies, electrical items, or holding any potentially dangerous chemicals. If you’re not sure what it is, don’t pick it up.
- Report! If you come across any of the hazardous items listed above, this should be identified and reported as quickly as possible to one of the event organisers.
- Sort your haul! Instead of chucking it all in one bag, you should separate what you’ve collected to be recycled!
- Wash your hands! Always make sure you wash your hands properly after picking litter.