Skip to content

Tigers in Seventh Heaven

Hexagon Telford Tigers returned to home ice after their recent run of good form had ended at Milton Keynes with a narrow defeat. Connor Lee was unavailable for Telford along with Jake Price, Lucas Price and Joe Aston.

Tigers almost started the game in perfect fashion when Archie Hazeldine sent Jaden Peca in on goal unopposed in the opening ten seconds of the first period. Peca shot to Sheffield net minder Daniel Crowe’s left but Crowe managed to save the shot with his glove.

The period was very scrappy and neither side had any real chances of note but Brad Day was called into action when Tigers’ defender Ryan Leese slipped over allowing Sheffield to have a free shot at goal but Day made a pad save to keep the scores level.

Tigers found their goalscoring form in the second period and with five minutes gone, took the lead. Good play by Tom Byrne sent Louie Newell in on goal. Newell shot over Crowe’s shoulder into the roof of the net to give the home side a deserved goal. Five minutes later the lead was doubled on the power play. With Lee Haywood serving a cross checking penalty, Telford used the extra man to their advantage with some neat passing between Newell and Harry Ferguson sending the puck in front of goal for James Smith to hammer past Crowe.  

Tigers added a third goal shortly after with import forwards Peca and Jesse Sutton combining to allow Sutton time and space to send a low shot into the bottom left hand corner of Crowe’s goal.

With less than a minute of the period left, an injury to lineswoman Alice Stanley meant the period would end early and the final minute of the period would be played after the break and just before the start of the third period.

Stanley was replaced by Paul Shuttleworth for the reminder of the game. Tigers finished off the extra minute of the second period with a fourth goal. Fin Howells finishing from close range to put the hosts firmly in control.

Early in the third period the game was over as a contest when Telford added a fifth goal. Scott McKenzie sent a pass across the slot where Vladimir Luka met it with a fierce slap shot that flew past Crowe before he could move. Shortly after, Luka had a second goal. A pass out of defence deflected kindly for Luka to break in on goal and he went forehand backhand, lifting the puck over Crowe’s pads to score.

The final goal of the game was scored in the final two minutes when McKenzie found the unmarked Byrne in the slot and he hit a fine wrist shot past Crowe for Tigers seventh of the game.

Brad Day completed his third shut out of the season as Tigers deservedly got back to winning ways.

Final Score: Hexagon Telford Tigers 7 Sheffield Steeldogs 0.

Scorers: Louie Newell, James Smith, Jesse Sutton, Fin Howells, Vladimir Luka (2) and Tom Byrne.

Man of the match: Louie Newell.

After the game Head Coach Tom Watkins, commented, “That was a solid performance and a good win with a shut out as well. It was a great way to rebound from defeat on Saturday.

We created a lot of chances again across all three lines and I think the spread of scoring across the team is a big plus. We have a tough weekend coming up with a double header against Swindon who are very much in form, so I’m pleased that we got the points in the bag tonight.” 

Watch out for further details about the latest news and player signings at Telford Tigers, visit: or catch up on YouTubeFacebook or Twitter