Skip to content

Double Triumph: Telford Tigers 2 Secures Laidler League Title Following League Cup Victory

Hexagon Telford Tigers 2 returned to home ice on Saturday, on their quest to secure their second trophy in two weeks, facing Sutton Sting for a fourth game in a row. After winning the Laidler Cup in overtime the week prior, Tigers were keen to put on another winning performance against Sting.

Tigers were still missing players due to suspensions, including, Liam Bartholomew and Liam Preece, but Paul Davies returned after serving his six-game suspension.

The game began with palpable tension as both teams battled in the highly anticipated title decider. Telford Tigers wasted no time in asserting their dominance as they swiftly took the lead, scoring their first goal at 2:36, setting the tone for the rest of the game as Simon Harrison scores with low shot past King’s blocker. Telford extended their lead to two when Simon Harrison picked up his second goal after poor Sutton defence a loose puck found itself at the back of the Sting net. Sutton were pressing Tigers, piling on the pressure which paid off. A backdoor shot from Elliot Meadows beat Tigers’ Matty Byrne. Sutton were handed a powerplay when Paul Davies was given a minor penalty for slashing, but thankfully for Tigers, Sutton weren’t able to capitalise.

Some pressure in front of the Sutton net created multiple chances, but the puck was going everywhere but near the net. Karol Jets found himself unmarked at the back post of the net and took advantage of it with a backhand shot, sneaking the puck past Sutton’s netminder making it three goals for Tigers. 

The second period was reasonably clean from both sides, with only one penalty handed out. Sutton’s James Spencer was given a roughing penalty from a questionable hit on Ryan Leese which sent him across the ice. Tigers were keen to make the most of the powerplay, but a result didn’t come off, with the closest chance coming from Dan Harrison as he hit the post. Sting were still up the challenge and tightened the gap with a second goal for the visitors. 

Tigers handled the pressure well, moving the puck to create chances. Much to Telford’s delight, a third goal for Tigers was secured when Captain Oli Hunt fired the puck into the back of the net in front of the Tigers bench with just one second to spare in the period. 

As the puck dropped for the third period, Tigers had to refocus on ‘getting the job done’. Having brought the game back from a two-goal deficit the week prior, Tigers were completely alive that the job was far from done yet and anything could still happen…

With ten minutes left of the game, Sting were still putting up a game, demonstrated that the result could still go either way. Telford were seen to still be pushing for a fifth goal, though Sting weren’t backing down easily. A face off win for Tigers in Sutton’s zone provided Dan Mitchell with a perfect chance to shoot from the point, which he capitalised on. Now with a more comfortable lead, Tigers were pushing to get the game wrapped up to secure the Laidler League title. 

Telford Tigers 2’s final goal of their Laidler League winning game, scored with less than five minutes to go by Paul Davies, was a pivotal moment that culminated in their remarkable victory. Sutton Sting, not to be outdone, put up a valiant effort, but ultimately, Telford Tigers’ formidable performance proved unbeatable. 

Following the final buzzer, jubilant celebrations erupted among the Telford Tigers players, staff, and passionate supporters as they revelled in the glory of their hard-earned victory, with scenes of confetti cannons in the stands and around the rink. 

This unforgettable celebration marked a significant milestone for Telford Tigers as the club secured it’s second piece of silverware for the 2023/24 season. 

Final Score: Hexagon Telford Tigers 6 vs Sutton Sting 2

Scorers: Simon Harrison (2), Karol Jets, Oli Hunt, Dan Mitchell, Paul Davies

Man of the match: Josh Hustwick

Telford Tigers 2 coach Dougie Wildman expressed his delight on securing the Laidler League title after a resounding win against Sutton Sting, only one week after clinching the Laidler League Cup. 

“Although we returned to home ice for this fixture and performed extremely well last weekend under pressure, we knew it wasn’t going to be an easy game. Sutton came at us with everything trying to upset the party, and I’m really happy with how the lads responded to that. To win the Laidler League title as well as the League Cup with only one week between the two has been double the satisfaction. The team have really been put through their paces in recent weeks with a busy schedule and some players still missing due to suspensions, they’ve been incredible. The team thoroughly deserved all the success they’ve had this season, purely for their dedication and determination.”

Watch out for further details about new signings at Telford Tigers, visit: or catch up on Facebook or Twitter.