Skip to content

Ferguson the Shoot Out Hero for Tigers.

Hexagon Telford Tigers faced off against Solway Sharks on a run of three consecutive wins having beaten bottom of the table Bristol Pitbulls in their previous game. Tigers were without the suspended Aidan Wilson and also Jake Price, Lucas Price, Joe Aston and Archie Hazeldine. James Smith was injured against Bristol so also missed out.

The game saw Head Coach Tom Watkins serving the second game of his suspension for the team reaching fifty penalty points for the season.

Tigers made a perfect start to the game and took the lead in the second minute. Jaden Peca sent a pass from behind the Solway goal to the unmarked Jesse Sutton who shot lot past Solway net minder Curtis Warburton.  Tigers wasted a 5-on-3 power play chance shortly after and the period ended with the hosts holding a narrow lead.

Solway equalised in the early stages of the second period when Mason Alderson’s shot was saved by Brad Day but Nolan Gardiner swept home the rebound.

At the start of the third period Tigers regained the lead with a power play goal from Fin Howells after a neat exchange of passes with Jesse Sutton and Rhodes Mitchell-King. Moments later Solway were in front.  Tigers’ defence went to sleep and conceded two goals in twenty seconds. Craig Peacock scored from close range after finding himself unmarked in front of goal. Then just after the restart Peacock sent a shot through Day’s pads to put the visitors ahead for the first time.

With Tigers missing a couple of power play chances it took a breakaway for the home side to get level. Louie Newell sent Jack Watkins in on goal and Watkins’ shot went through Warburton to equalise.

With no further scoring the game went to overtime and Tigers can thank Day for keeping them in the game after making a stunning save to repel a Solway attack. With both sides cancelling each other out the game went to a penalty shoot out.

Solway’s Lewis Young and Telford’s Scott McKenzie were the only two scorers in the opening five shots for each team which meant the shoot out would go to sudden death.

Harry Ferguson stepped up for Telford and beat Warburton with a well placed wrist shot. Gardiner had to score to keep the shoot out going but his shot went over the goal and Telford won the game. Tigers have now won four in a row and have gained a four point weekend for the second consecutive week. 

Final Score: Hexagon Telford Tigers 4 Solway Sharks 3 (after penalty shoot out).

Scorers: Jesse Sutton, Fin Howells and Jack Watkins.

Man of the Match: Brad Day.

After the game Head Coach Tom Watkins, commented, “I’m really pleased for the team, they put a lot in to both games this weekend and came away with maximum points for their efforts and I’m grateful to the guys that took control of the team in my absence. 

It was a hard fought win and early in the game I thought we wasted some good power play opportunities but managed to kill Solway’s 5 on 3 very well then capitalise on our second 5 on 3 of the night. 

We had to dig deep after falling one behind with Jack (Watkins) coming up with a big goal to tie the game then Brad (Day) stole the show in the shootout.

Given we were without eleven players this evening this is a huge win against a rival team which sets up a push for fifth place and with us playing Peterborough next Saturday we have a lot to play for and I hope to get a huge home crowd to support the team in a very important fixture for us.”

Watch out for further details about new signings at Telford Tigers, visit: or catch up on Facebook or Twitter.