Skip to content

Tigers Weekend to Forget.

Hexagon Telford Tigers returned to home ice after losing both their previous games this weekend. Defeats to Leeds Knights and Swindon Wildcats had left the Shropshire side seeking their first win of the weekend.

Tigers remained with a long list of absentees and were left without Jake and Lucas Price along with Joe Aston and Connor Lee. Aidan Wilson was available to play in his first home game since returning to the club earlier this week.

Similar to the game between the two sides the night before, the opening period was close and both teams owed a lot to their net minder. Early on Brad Day made two superb saves from Colby Tower. As the period progressed, Tigers were under heavy pressure in their own defensive zone and somehow the visitors did not take the lead when they had several Grade A chances to score. Having rode their luck, Telford broke away to score. Louie Newell sent James Smith and Jack Watkins on a breakaway and Smith waited patiently to play the perfect pass across goal to Watkins who shot low past Renny Marr to open the scoring.

The second period continued the pattern of the first period with Swindon having extensive time in the Tigers’ defensive zone and missing a number of great chances or Day saving well.

But Tigers luck ran out when they were on a power play after Reed Sayers had been called for holding the stick. The puck broke towards the Tigers’ goal and Day came out to play it in an attempt to start a rush up the ice. Day’s pass fell to Tomaz Malasinski who passed to Aaron Nell to score into the open net.

Shortly after Balint Pakozdi missed what seemed like a certain goal. With the puck trickling along the crease in the Tigers’ goal, it seemed Pakozdi only needed to tap the puck into the net but somehow he lost control of the puck and ended up knocking past the open goal.

Early in the third period Tigers’ defence went missing and Malasinski passed to Nell who was unmarked in front of goal without a Tigers player anywhere near him. Nell shot into the top corner of the goal to give the visitors the lead.

The game looked beyond Telford with seven minutes left when Deakan Fielder was given a major penalty for boarding and ejected from the game. 

In the final minute, Tigers pulled Day from goal to add an extra attacker but this just allowed Glenn Billing to score into the empty net and seal the win for Swindon. 

Telford fall to their third consecutive defeat of the weekend.

Final Score: Hexagon Telford Tigers 1 Swindon Wildcats 3.

Scorers: Jack Watkins.

Man of the match: Ryan Leese.

After the game Head Coach Tom Watkins, commented, “It’s been a very hard few days, we didn’t get the results but I think our performances in all three games were at a good level which gave us a chance. Obviously offensively the lack of goals have been a concern this weekend. Our power play – which has been a good tool for us – didn’t generate any scoring or chances which is frustrating and you could argue that was the difference all weekend. 

We have lots to build upon and take plenty of positives from the performances against two very good teams.”

Watch out for further details about new signings at Telford Tigers, visit: or catch up on Facebook or Twitter.