Skip to content

Tigers Go Goal Crazy to Slay the Dragons.

Deeside 04032018

Telford Tigers 1 faced off against Deeside Dragons in the NIHL Moralee Division for the fourth and final time this season on Sunday night in Deeside. Tigers’ home game on Saturday against Billingham Stars had been called off due to the weather conditions affecting Billingham’s ability to travel to Telford.

Tigers mathematically were still in with a chance of the league title at the start of play, but with games running out and leaders Sheffield seven points ahead of the Tigers, it looked extremely unlikely.

Tigers started the game without a number of players: Adam Taylor, Dale White, Nick Oliver, Jordan Stokes, Brodie Jesson, Jed Moreland and Dan Mitchell all missing. Tigers added Tom Watkins and also saw Jack Watkins return from injury after being out with a broken collar bone. Jonah Armstrong started in goal against his former team.

Tigers were on the scoresheet in the 3rd minute through Jason Silverthorn and Filip Supa added a second goal a minute later. Scott Mckenzie rounded off the scoring in the 1st period to give Tigers a 3-0 lead at the break.

The 2nd period saw Tigers score at will, with 9 unanswered goals. McKenzie scored his 2nd of the night and there were also goals from Jonathan Weaver, Jack Watkins, Adam Jones and Ricky Plant. Filip Supa scored 2 goals to complete his hat trick and Silverthorn also netted 2 goals in the period to complete his own hat trick leaving Tigers 12-0 ahead at the end of the 2nd period.

At the start of the 3rd period Deeside scored through Ross Kennedy before Tigers added a 13th and 14th goal both from Tom Watkins.  Supa scored his 4th goal of the night before Weaver tallied on the power play. Macaulay Halford rounded off the scoring to give Tigers a huge win.

Final Score: Deeside Dragons 1 Telford Tigers 17.

Man of the match: Corey Goodison.

After the game Tigers coach Tom Watkins said, “It was good to stretch our legs after yesterday’s cancellation. We were somewhat short staffed tonight, with injuries and the U18s having a game.

We were professional about our performance and now look forward to a big game on Wednesday against Hull.”